Pages

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

"I'll Walk a Little Taller in Some High Heeled Shoes"....Looking good and Feeling Good Go Hand in Hand

Name the song lyric? Read the title.....can you tell me what song that quote is from?


If you guessed Hairspray than you were CORRECT!

Hairspray the musical/movie is a wonderful example of a usually forgotten integral part of living a balanced lifestyle...Treating yourself right! For me, I feel best about myself, when I am dressed in a favorite outfit, with a great pair of shoes, and my hair and make-up are all done.  Now, this doesn't actually mean I need to be in a dress and some high-heels, just as long as it is an outfit that makes me feel confident and spunky!



I mentioned this previously, but I also fully believe in treating yourself.  For me, staying balanced doesn't always mean strict discipline, it also means letting yourself enjoy some time to just focus on yourself and your needs.  As a gymnast and dancer growing up, I was never allowed to wear nail-polish on my fingernails (team uniformity, etc).  So, for me, going to get my nails done with my mom or a friend has always been a treat; something only reserved for my birthday, school breaks, and special events.  Now that I am older, I treat myself to a mani/pedi probably about 4-6 times a year.  My birthday, the end of winter break, right before school starts, and a few times throughout the year when I just need a "me" day.  My mani/pedis are usually followed by frozen yogurt or a Starbucks iced coffee (my favorite afternoon delights).   By the way, getting a mani/pedi doesn't need to be pricey.  Most places offer a college discount if they are near a college campus, or have a frequent patron card, so you can gain points towards rewards.  Treating yourself doesn't have to throw your bank account off balance.

I also got introduced to massages a few years ago....and I'm hooked.  I treat myself once a year, at the holidays as a New Years Eve treat.  I go and get my massage during the day on NYE as a way to end the year and start a new year fresh, relaxed, and well....balanced.  You don't have to pay the big bucks to get a professional massage, (at a respectable place) by the way.  I usually treat myself to one that is about $80 for an hour, but other salons nearby have them offered for $60 for an hour.  There is even a salon near me where they offer a 15 minute massage for $15 for businessmen or women who are on the go, but want to treat themselves too.

I also love sweets! Yes....I am writing about keeping up with a balanced lifestyle and I am a complete chocoholic! I love frozen yogurt, and ice-cream and M&Ms and cookies.  But, knowing how to moderate yourself is how you will stay balanced.  My dad was really sweet and for Valentine's Day sent me TWO 1 lb. boxes of See's Chocolate.  He knows me so well! But at the same time, I got them, and got excited, but knew that I was going to need to limit myself.  The boxes sit on my desk....taunting me daily, but I am able to control myself and only allow myself to eat 2 pieces a day, usually at night, as a way to end my day on a sweet note! Yes...pun intended :) Having that self-control allows me to treat myself, but still feel good about myself and not feel guilty for gorging on all the candy.

No comments:

Post a Comment